Job Announcement: Government Affairs Manager
Government Affairs Manager
The HIV+Hepatitis Policy Institute is a national 501(c)(3) non-profit organization incorporated in the District of Columbia whose mission is to promote quality and affordable healthcare for people living with or at risk of HIV, hepatitis, and other serious and chronic health conditions. We are seeking a Government Affairs Manager to advocate for our policy goals to end the HIV and hepatitis epidemics and increase access and affordability of healthcare with a focus on prescription drugs.
The Government Affairs Manager will be responsible for advocating policy positions before the United States Congress, federal agencies, and state officials. Primary focus will be on securing adequate appropriations for domestic HIV and hepatitis prevention and treatment programs. Additional areas of focus include Congressional and federal agency consideration of issues that impact access and affordability of healthcare, including prescription medications. On occasion, state legislative and agency communication will also be part of the portfolio.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Meet with Congressional staff to highlight the importance of ending the HIV and hepatitis epidemics in the United States and current issues impacting HIV and hepatitis prevention and treatment.
- Advocate in support of Congressional appropriations for domestic HIV and hepatitis prevention and treatment programs.
- Advocate to support policies that promote prescription drug access and affordability in the U.S. Congress and by federal and state agencies.
- Work in coalition with other HIV and hepatitis policy and advocacy organizations, and other partners including patient advocacy organizations.
- Monitor and track legislation and administration activity on relevant policy issues.
- Draft communication materials, including letters, comments, and testimony.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Master’s degree (preferred) in political science, health policy, or related fields.
- A minimum of 8 years of government relations and/or health policy experience.
- Congressional experience with a strong knowledge of the appropriations and legislative processes.
- Knowledge of and interest in HIV and hepatitis prevention and treatment.
- Knowledge of the Affordable Care Act, Medicaid, Medicare, and the 340B Program, and their policies that impact healthcare and prescription drug access and affordability.
- Ability to work with people who represent a diverse range of political interests.
- Ability to work with communities most impacted by HIV and hepatitis, and a passion for and demonstrated experience in leading positive change.
- Excellent verbal and written communications, along with interpersonal skills and respect for differences among populations and organizations.
- Strong work ethic, integrity, and judgment.
This new position is remote, but candidates must reside or be willing to relocate to the Washington, DC metropolitan area in order to engage directly with stakeholders.
Reports to the Executive Director.
HIV+Hepatitis Policy Institute offers a generous benefits package, including a retirement match and employer-paid health insurance, including vision and dental, paid vacation and sick days, computer and telephone. Salary Range: $100,000–$130,000 (depending on experience and qualifications).
HIV+Hepatitis Policy Institute is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from those communities most impacted by HIV and hepatitis in the United States.
Please email a cover letter and resume to HR@HIVHep.org with your name in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Applications close December 4, 2023, or until position is filled.
Posted November 6, 2023